Beyond Precious: Fall of Oriath’s New Support Gems
It’s common for MMOs to provide new skills in every expansion to keep the game fresh, exciting, and balanced. In “The Fall of Oriath,” Path of Exile’s (PoE) first expansion, GGG introduced new support gems that would either be a big help to current builds or change them. There are over 11 support gems that are in “The Fall of Oriath,” and it’s wise to be familiar with them.
3 Strength Support Gems
- Maim: turns out to be a must-have for all classes whose bread and butter are physical melee attacks. It strengthens the physical damage of sustained skills by 10%, and supported attacks receive 30% chance to disfigure on hit. Wounded enemies receive 20% increased physical damage.
- Brutality: the skill it supports deals an additional/whopping 35% physical damage, and 10% increased Physical Damage. The only drawback is that supported skills won’t deal elemental damage. It’s a trade-off, and whether it’s worth it or not depends on the build.
- Bleed: provides supported attacks 1 to 2 added Physical Damage with weapons. Supported attacks also deal 10% increased damage with bleeding, and have a 25% chance to cause bleeding. It’s the most modest of the three when it comes to raw damage, but it’s a reliable choice if you want damage over time.
3 Dexterity Support Gems
- Vile Toxins: gives supported skills additional 20% damage with poison, 30% more poison damage, and 5% more damage with hits for each poison on the enemy (six maximum). If you use poison, then this gem is a must-have.
- Deadly Ailments: grants supported skills 50% additional damage with ailments and 10% increased damage over time, but 30% less damage with hits. With its drawback, it’s obvious that it’s not for those who rely on attacks compared to damage-over-time skills, especially spellcasters.
- Lesser Poison: unlike Deadly Ailments, it gives supported skills 10% increased damage with poison, 25% chance to poison on hit and deal 1 to 2 Chaos damage. Rather than focusing on increasing poison damage (although this gem does that too), it enhances the likelihood of poisoning, making it synergistic with both Vile Toxins Support and Deadly Ailments Support.
5 Intelligence Support Gems
- Decay: for those who rely on Chaos Damage, Decay grants supported skills 10% increased chaos damage. It inflicts the status Decay, which deals 234 Chaos damage within 10 seconds.
- Efficacy: a simple, reliable, and well-rounded Support Gem. Skills supported by it deal 10% more spell damage, 15% more damage over time, 10% increased damage over time, and 10% increased spell duration.
- Immolate: for those who rely on fire-based spells. It grants supported skills 10% increased fire damage and makes them deal 47-71 additional fire damage against burning enemies.
- Unbound Ailments: with some similarities to Deadly Ailments, but instead, it lengthens the duration of ailments caused by supported skills by 40%, and gives the ailments 20% increased effect.
- Ignite Proliferation: provides two effects; one of them only works with the elemental ailment Ignites. It allows Ignites caused by the supported skill to spread within a radius of 14, and an additional 10% fire damage for supported skills.
Thanks for peeping our PoE article. Keep an eye out for future blogs.