Sometimes simplicity works best, which is the philosophy behind the Frostbolt Elementalist. It’s easy to play, beginner-friendly, and it’s effective. It’s not the best boss killer there is, but the sheer ease in playing this build make it a popular one.
Passive Skill Tree and Skill Gems
For the passive skill tree, click here.
- Core skill gem (Frostbolt): have it with Faster Casting, Controlled Destruction to increase damage at the cost of critical strike chance, Cold Penetration, Hypothermia for more damage against and higher chances of freezing chilled enemies, and Ice Bite to gain frenzy charges for chilling enemies. You can also choose to go with Slower Projectiles, Added Cold Damage, and Empower level 3 or 4.
- Secondary damage skill: Orb of Storms with Curse on Hit, Temporal Chains to slow targets in an area, Arcane Surge.
- Cast When Damage Taken with Increased Duration setup: Immortal Call and Flame/Lightning/Ice Golem.
- Mobility: Charge with Fortify and Faster Attacks.
- Aura: either Herald of Ice or Thunder.
- Rime Gaze: it gives an innate level 20 Concentrated Effect; make sure to have Vortex with Cold Penetration, Efficacy for more damage, and Controlled Destruction.
- Weapon: Pledge of Hands (Unique) for increased spell damage and mana, chance to block, and have socketed gems supported by level 30 Spell Echo.
- Shield: any Rare spirit shield with bonuses to spell or cold damage, energy shield, life, resistances, and block recovery.
- Head: Doedre’s Scorn (Unique) to increased intelligence, energy shield, curse duration, elemental damage, and damage with hits and ailments per curse on enemy.
- Chest: any Rare armor with bonuses to spell or cold damage, energy shield, life, resistances, and block recovery.
- Boots: Windscream (Unique) for increased armor, elemental damage and resistances, movement speed, and 1 additional curse on enemy, and 8% of elemental damage penetration on enemy.
- Gloves: any Rare gloves with bonuses to spell or cold damage, energy shield, life, resistances, and block recovery.
- Belt: Doryani’s Invitation (Unique) for increased cold damage, armor, resistances; cold damage is leeched as life, increased chance to freeze during flask effect.
- Accessories: one Rare ring and amulet with bonuses to spell or cold damage, energy shield, life, resistances, and/or attributes; Dream Fragments (Unique Ring) for increased cold resistance, maximum mana and regen, and immunity to being chilled and frozen.
- Jewels: Frozen Trail (Unique) for increased projectile damage and 2 additional Frostbolt projectiles for at least 40 intelligence, Frostbolt projectiles gain 40% increased projectile speed.
- Flasks: seething Life Flask for instant life recovery and Experimenter’s Diamond Flask for lucky critical strike chance – both should have Staunching suffix; Experimenter’s Basalt Flask of Adrenaline for physical damage reduction and reflection, as well as increased movement speed; The Wise Oak (Unique) for elemental resistances; and Atziri’s Promise (Unique) for chaos damage and resistance.
The Frostbolt Elementalist is a breeze to play and hurts like hell when it hits enemies. So, if you want a simple yet effective witch build, it’s definitely for you.