New Hearthstone Expansion: Kobolds and Catacombs – Shocking and Cool?
If you’ve somehow missed the news about the New Hearthstone Expansion that got announced at Blizzcon 2017, you’re forgiven. Mainly because the news about Battle of Azeroth (WoW’s new expac) and all the hype about WoW: Classic pretty much stole the show.
Nonetheless, we’re getting a new HS expansion guys! The title is rather weird and brilliant at the same time – Kobolds and Catacombs. We had a Frozen Throne-themed expansion last time with Arthas and all that, so this is some kind of a funny, end of the year silly expansion.
But honestly, who doesn’t like Kobolds? If you’ve ever played World of Warcraft as a Human, you should remember the legendary quote “You no take candle!” from the kobolds in the cave in Northshire Valley. That’s a good enough reason to be excited about this!
Anyways, let’s look at the facts related to Kobolds and Catacombs.
Kobolds and Catacombs – What do we know about it so far?
The trailer for this expansion is pretty hilarious though, don’t you think?
So, let’s start off with the release date. It’s now official – we’re getting Kobolds and Catacombs on December the 7th (2017). That’s less than a month from now – exciting stuff!
Now, without further ado, this is what this new expansion will feature when it gets released:
- 135 brand new cards
- Players will be able to equip 9 new Legendary weapons (you get one of them for free the first time you log into the new expansion)
- Kobolds and Catacombs brings us a new single-player mode called Dungeon Runs
We’ll take a closer look at the new cards that’ll be available, but you’re probably curious to know more about these new Dungeon Runs.
They’re similar to Adventure (although we’re getting Dungeon Runs this time), however, this new single-player mode offers a lot of replayability. Have a look:
- You have to pick a class and then you head to your Dungeon Run
- After you down a boss, you’re getting extra loot to power your deck up
- Passives: cards that give you a bonus for your run
- Treasures: powerful cards that are added to your DR deck
- Cards: you get to pick between themed bundles of cards to add to your DR deck
- You’re getting a total of 48 unique encounters and this is enhanced by the variety of cards that you play with each time
- When you fail a boss fight, the current Dungeon Run ends for you
- Winning a Dungeon Run with each of the 9 classes means that you’ll unlock a card back
Besides that, Blizzard has made these Dungeon Runs easier to access. You actually don’t need to have cards in your HS collection. So we can say that it’s free – yay!
Now, time to check what new cards we’re getting with this expac.
New Hearthstone cards in Kobolds and Catacombs
It’s confirmed that we’re getting 135 theme cards with the new HS expansion – pretty neat! Obviously, some fortunate people got to actually play Dungeon Runs during Blizzcon as some of the cards were revealed.
First and foremost, I’ll break down the list of currently available cards by classes.
- Lesser Jasper Spellstone
- Deals 2 damage to a minion (gain 3 armor to upgrade).
- Wandering Monster
- Secret: when an enemy attacks your hero, summon a 3-Cost minion as the new target.
- Crushing Walls
- Destroy your opponent’s left and right-most minions.
- At the end of your turn, draw 3 cards.
- Drygulch Jailor
- Deathrattle: add 3 Silver Hand Recruits to your hand.
- Unidentified Elixir
- Give a minion +2/+2. Gains a bonus effect in your hand.
- Dragon Soul
- After you cast 3 spells in a turn, summon a 5/5 Dragon.
- Kobold Illusionist
- Deathrattle: summon a 1/1 copy of a minion from your hand.
- Lesser Sapphire Spellstone
- Summon 1 copy of a friendly minion (overload 3 Mana Crystals to upgrade).
- Rin, the First Disciple
- Deathrattle: add “The First Seal” to your hand.
- Gather Your Party
- Recruit a minion.
Obviously, we’re still waiting for the other class-specific cards to see the day of light. These are the ones that we’re familiar with already.
Let’s have a look at all the other cards that have been revealed now, shall we?
- Marin the Fox
- Battlecry: summon a 0/8 Treasure Chest for your opponent (break it for awesome loot!).
- Carnivorous Cube
- Battlecry: destroy a friendly minion.
- Deathrattle: summon 2 copies of it.
- Guild Recruiter
- Battlecry: recruit a minion that costs (4) or less.
Dungeon Run Mode Special Cards
- Bag of Coins
Fill your hand with Coins.
- Boots of Haste
Your minions cost (0) this turn.
- Captured Flag
Your minions have +1/+1
- Glove of Mugging
Steal 3 cards from your opponent’s hand.
- Glyph of Warding
Enemy minions cost (1) more.
- Horns of Cenarius
Recruit 3 minions.
- Justicar’s Ring
Your Hero Power is upgraded and costs (1).
- Khadgar’s Scrying Orb
Your spells cost (1) less.
- Mysterious Tome
At the start of the game, play 3 random Secrets.
- Potion of Vitality
Double your starting Health.
- Rod of Roasting
Cast ‘Pyroblast’ randomly until a hero dies.
- Small Backpacks
At the start of the game, draw 2 cards.
That’s pretty much it, for now. Even if you’re impatient, you’ll have to wait until the 7th of December. But I’d imagine that it’d be worth it!
So there you have it folks, hopefully, I managed to inject some excitement into you with this post. Sure, after Knights of the Frozen Throne this feels a bit awkward, I mean, kobolds are funny little creatures, no doubt.
But, even if the announcement of Kobolds and Catacombs was overshadowed by WoW: Classic and Battle for Azeroth, the hype is real nonetheless!
Make sure to check out our dedicated Hearthstone Marketplace, where you can buy, sell and trade accounts – or even make use of our power leveling offers!