The Best FIFA 18 Formations & Tactics
Just got the new FIFA 18 and not exactly sure what to do with it? We’re here to help lay out some of the Best FIFA 18 Formations and Tactics and to use that will help you succeed in both the online and offline versions of the game.
With any type of team building, choosing your players and deciding which ones would work best together is all part of a larger decision of choosing your formation. Your formation is a crucial piece of the game and can make or break your winning record.
Unfortunately, this decision is not simply just choosing between a 4-4-2 and a 4-3-3. With the new version, the game has 25 different variations of options for you to pick from to play with using your team.
As the case always is, however, when it comes from picking the good ones from a bunch, there are a few formations that stand out. With all the new additions in the game, there are a few formations that will really get you performing in harmony between the tactics, skills, and talents of your team.
Here are our top five formations, and the pros and cons of each:
(5) 4-1-2-1-2 Wide
If you are doing a double take on what we just wrote, you might seem a little confused at first. FIFA 18’s new configurations really play to the strength of a wide formation, and the more complicated it will be to learn to play, the more difficult it will be for your opponent to figure you out.
This formation has an adequate shape for balance, being both positive for your attack and your defense.
- Allows your team to really puncture the width of the field.
- All players can get into the game, spreading your effectiveness throughout the field.
- The quick, counter-attack is harder to execute.
- You need to have a skilled and highly physical defensive center mid.
(4) 4-3-3 Holding
Not to get confused with the other four different versions of the original 4-3-3, this version is a holding version, which relates more to your defending players. This formation spreads your attacking players really out wide and leaves a sole striker out there for finishing your chances.
- Your wide wingers are great on converting to a quick attacking transition.
- Your defensive center mid can cover and close the holes that defenders may leave.
- Unfortunately, there is no attacking center mid, so in front of your goal can be pretty empty on the cross.
- You need to find players with enough pace and skill to fill in the winger positions.
(3) 4-2-3-1 Wide
With this numbered formation, there are two options available, one with two center attacking midfielders, and one with wide midfielders. Since the FIFA 18 version really adheres to those wide players, this formation is on our top 5 list.
This formation is perfect for teams that like to build out from the back. The only downside of this lineup is that it just leaves one person up top, the sole striker. But of course, they can be joined by the central attacking mid from time to time.
- If you are playing against a better team, this formation gives a lot of defensive support, packing the back.
- This formation is also great for those passing teams looking to keep possession of the ball.
- You have few players up front in the attack, so needs a really good forward and attacking center mid.
The five players in the back make for a highly defensive formation. It also allows for a quick counter-attack, with your immediate power and numbers coming in and transitioning from the back.
A hint for this formation is to snatch up quick-reacting, fast outside midfielders to be able to transition as fast as possible. It is also necessary to get players with high stamina.
- You have a very packed defense, which makes your formation perfect for “packing the back”.
- Your counter-attacks will be quick and will come often.
- You need to snatch up those fast outside midfielders before they’re gone to have them working on your team. Without them, the fast transition will be hard to execute.
- Technically, this formation is meant to be played pretty narrow, with exception to the outside midfielders. This doesn’t adhere best to the configurations of FIFA 18.
For this formation, you’ll need to have a great selection of skilled center backs. Technically speaking, the tactics behind this formation require you to have two powering defensive midfielders that will sit right on top of three wide central backs. This also gives full-range to your wide midfielders, because they will have to cover a lot of ground. Your center mid also have to be very strong defensively, to know when to pull back and cover for the lack of outside backs. Stamina and endurance are a must-have.
The attack on this formation uses a lot of your wide midfielders, so honestly, you need to have amazing ones, for your defense and for your offense.
- Your midfield will have strength in numbers.
- This is a perfect defensive formation to have to fight against narrow formations, since all your players are found really in the middle of the field, too.
- This formation can leave you open to receiving counter attacks.
- If you are playing against really good wingers, you might be in trouble because of the lack of outside backs.
Those were our top five formations for FIFA 18, and we hope that it helps give you a little insight on some player selection tactics to take when you are looking for your roster. Each formation is looking for specific players to fill each role, so be sure to follow these guidelines so that way the formation is as effective as it can be.