Drop Roulette: The Essential Apex Legends App
To drop or not to drop? That is a question that has beleaguered way too many Apex Legends players in recent days. Finding the perfect drop zone can be tricky. Oftentimes, team members have had to go on seemingly endless debates about which areas are the best spots to land in.
If this predicament has irked you one too many times before, you’re in for a pleasant treat! The Drop Roulette, available on both Google Play Store and iTunes, will take away all the arguments and indecision out of the equation and replace it with a good ol’ dose of randomness.
Let’s get to know Snool Squad, the team that came up with this Apex Legends App, has to say about the game, the app, and everything in between.
(1) Tell us about yourself (name/nickname, hometown, age, occupation, favorite games that you play and what platform(s) you play)?
We are a small team of Irish developers located near Belfast, where the phrase “Where we droppin’ bois?” often rings through our Discord room.
(2) Do you work independently or in a team? If in a team, how big is it?
At the moment, it’s mainly two of us working on the apps! We like to keep a lot of different projects going at once but we do keep the gaming-related projects under the umbrella of ‘Snool Squad’; it’s a long story.
(3) What inspired you to create an app specifically for this game? When did it cross your mind to create your app?
As soon as we played our first game of Apex Legends, we loved its level of polish and the mixture of mechanics we’ve grown to love from PUBG and Overwatch. We love Battle Royale games in general, having tried everything from Totally Accurate Battlegrounds to Fortnite, and wanted to create an app to complement and add further challenges to the experience. As we always seemed to disagree about where to drop, we decided we’d rather square the blame at a machine instead; and so Drop Roulette was born!
(4) What programming language or tool did you use to create this app? Do you have any favorite PLs or tools in particular?
We created Drop Roulette for Apex Legends entirely with Java for the Android version, and Swift for the iOS version. Using Android Studio and Xcode respectively!
For more Interviews, check this out: More Epic Clashes with the Ultimate Castle Clash Guide
(5) When it comes to designing the user experience/UX of the app, what motivated you or what influences did you have?
Great UX is the cornerstone of any long-lasting app. With our previous non-game releases on Android (a dream journal app called Somnio, and a network utility called Fwd) we had a heavy emphasis on functional, colorful and native-feeling UX design, so we had some good feedback to learn from!
(6) From the developer’s and gamer’s perspective, how do you think the app affects the overall experience of the game?
We hope it gives players a feeling of spontaneity and an extra layer of challenge. We’ve built the app to work even better socially. So whether you’re tempting a friend by sharing a link of your gameplan, or letting your squad know their new fate, we hope players really enjoy using it together.
(7) Is there any margin of error when it comes to the app’s performance and provided information?
Luckily, we have the many learning experiences of our previous app releases to learn from so the launch was relatively smooth! We haven’t had many crashes… yet!
(8) What were your biggest challenges for this project? How did you overcome them?
We immediately knew we wanted the app out in the market and into people’s hands sooner rather than later, and that meant several restless nights! The biggest technological challenge was our share mechanic. We didn’t want a basic, share text feature. So we came up with an interactive share mechanic (complete with timeout to ensure truth-fullness) that provides a graphic and interactive link to the drop location.
(9) Are you expecting the game’s expansions to change your app’s dynamics and performance? Is it something that you’ve already prepared to tackle?
We are excited about many potential areas that could help and challenge players of Apex, and always listening to the community! Personally, we are looking forward to the prospect of larger teams arriving in Apex; the stakes of jumpmasters using our app will get even higher!
(10) Are there any exciting new developments for your app that you would care to share?
Haha! We currently have a few in the making, but we’re only giving away one clue: loot zones.
(11) Could you share a few quick tips to new players of the game?
Definitely don’t make our mistake and underutilize the slide mechanic when playing! And make sure to use Drop Roulette for Apex Legends to familiarize yourself with the map. 😉
(12) Any advice you’d like to share to aspiring game app or web developers?
Start simple! A small or simple project done well is better than a rushed complex project!
A Legendary App is Born
Experience is the best teacher. While it may seem like a cliché, the fact still remains: It’s true. As far as app-creation goes, this talented group of developers certainly has experience—in spades, if we may add. Perhaps that’s why the Drop Roulette Apex Legends App has such a seemingly smooth way of integrating itself into the game. With the way they are keeping their ears close to the beat of the gaming public, we can be sure that Apex fans are in for even bigger, better surprises in the near future.