How to Leave Guild in WoW: All You Need to Know
Ever since the glorious vanilla days, the social aspect of Blizzard’s arguably most popular and beloved franchize has always revolved around guilds at its core. Subsequently, “How to Leave Guild in WoW?” has been a pretty sought-after question in the community for years.
And it’s easy to see why. For many, abandoning your guild is comparable to leaving your home, wife, husband, dog, car… you name it. But on the other hand, it’s just a formal part of the game for many other players.
Regardless of which side of the fence you stand, this awesome post will tackle the ever so popular subject of parting ways with your guild.
First and foremost, let’s have a look at how you can actually do that.
So, how exactly do I leave my guild in World of Warcraft?
Don’t worry, it’s a fairly simple process and we’ll start by explaining how to do in the most civilized and logical, in-game manner – we shall talk about the ethics behind a “/gquit” later on.
Here’s how to leave your guild in seven effortless steps:
- First, if you have more than one characters in this guild, ensure that you’re currently logged in with the one you want to leave
- Open your “Guild” panel by hitting the “J” button found on your keyboard
- Now, at the bottom of that panel, there’s a tab called “Roster” (right next to the “Guild” one) – click on it
- Look for the name of your character and then right-click it
- A small list of options will appear (Whisper, Target, Ignore, Leave Guild, Cancel). Click on “Leave Guild”
- Now a warning asking you whether or not you really want to quit your guild will pop-up. Hit the “Accept” button
- After that, you’ll see a yellow text message in your chat box that says “your character’s name has left the guild” and voila – you can now enjoy being guildless
As I already mentioned, this is the more politically-correct way of dropping out of a guild in WoW. We’ll talk about what you can say to your fellow guildmates prior to leaving, but now it’s time to cover the alternative method for quitting a guild.
The infamous /gquit
I’ve done, you’ve done, every single WoW player has done it. Rage quitting your guild is unarguably not the politest thing to do, but sometimes you feel so irritated that your only option (or so it seems) is to call it quits as fast as humanly possible.
In case you never left a guild through this nefarious technique (like I believe you), here’s how you can achieve that:
- Press “Enter” and type /gquit (or /guildquit)
- Congratulations, you’re now a free person again
Note that you won’t be asked whether or not you’re sure about leaving your guild, like in the first and more cultivated method mentioned earlier. So, be wise when going for this approach.
All that you’ll see is that yellow warning message that you’re now officially guildless and that’s pretty much it. And last but not least – there are certain repercussions when you decide to leave your guild.
How quitting your guild can negatively impact your character
It’s quite obvious that the first issue directly related to dropping out of your guild is about being 100% certain that you want out. You better take this seriously, because once you quit, getting back might very well be mission impossible.
- After quitting a guild, the only way of getting back is by receiving an invitation from one of the high-rank (officers, GM etc.) guild members
And if you go out with a bang, good luck with getting an invite back from the guild leaders. Unless they somehow sympathize with you, but that’s another story.
The second problem with quitting your guild is connected to your char’s guild reputation:
- After you leave a guild, your guild reputation goes down by one level when you join a new one.
What this means is that if you were Exalted at your previous guild, you’ll be demoted to Renowned in your new one.
And of course, keep in mind that unless you delete your char, your guild log page is always going to “proudly” feature the fact that you’ve left (or being kicked out of) the guild.
But apart from aspects related to game mechanics, the social element of WoW is as present as it can be in exactly those tricky, /gquit situations. That’s why we’ll take a look at the most polite and friendly way of parting ways with your guildmates.
Leaving your guild – the ultimate ethical code
Even if all of this happens within the virtual world of WoW, there’s always some anxiety and unease when you’re about to abandon your guild. Some prefer to do that when there’s no one else online to avoid any confrontations, while others might enjoy to go out with a bang.
Regardless of your approach, make sure that you’re not leaving by burning bridges and completely shattering the connections you’ve to build with other players throughout the game.
Here are some practical tips that you can apply when you decide that it’s time to leave your guild:
- Inform your guildmates that you’re not satisfied with the current situation in the guild and that you’ve made the decision to quit
- Drop a /w to one of the Officers or even the Guild Master and explain in even more detail how you feel about the guild, why you’re leaving and that you still consider them your friends (doesn’t matter if it’s only in-game)
- Wish them, everyone, the best of luck, wave farewell and depart by leaving a positive vibe
By doing so, your (now former) guildmates won’t hold a grudge against you (unless there’s another underlying problem).
You’ll be amazed by what impact some clever use of good manners and courtesy can have on your in-game experience – the same principles can be applied in real life too, actually.
Wrapping it Up
Yes, leaving your guild is incredibly easy. Yes, it can have a negative effect on your character and potentially your gameplay. And yes, leaving without any confrontations or unwanted conflict is the best way to quit any guild.
But, what’s the best way to leave a guild in your opinion? Tell us in the comment section below and also don’t hesitate to share an interesting story about quitting a guild – every WoW player knows what it feels like to /gquit.
And don’t forget to check out our awesome World of Warcraft marketplace. This is THE place for buying gold, selling gold, trading accounts, taking advantage of power leveling plus much more. Everything’s at super affordable – you can even benefit from a discount, so don’t waste any more time!
For more WoW, check this out: World of Warcraft Name Generator: What on Earth is That?