CI Whispering Ice
YES! Chaos Inoculation is once again viable in 3.1, and with that comes the return of the CI Whispering Ice Berserker. It’s not the same exact build it used to be since the game has changed. So without further ado, here’s the build!
Passive Skill Tree and Skill Gems
For the passive skill tree, click here
- Core skill (Icestorm): accessible via the unique staff-class weapon The Whispering Ice; this build has no true core skill gem.
- Weapon sockets: Scorching Ray with Cast While Channeling. These two will give act as some sort of core skill, as this will allow you to use Scorching Ray and Icestorm at the same time, allowing you to deal lots of damage.
- Damage: have Cold to Fire and Elemental Focus support gems linked to Scorching Ray to deal more Scorching Ray damage. Also, have Fire Penetration and Concentrated Effect.
- Cast When Damage Taken setup: it should be left in level 1, make sure to have Ball Lightning (which should only be level 4), Curse on Hit, and Enfeeble. If you’re using a 5-link chest armor, have Blind added.
- Secondary offensive skill: Orb of Storms with Arcane Surge, Flame Dash, and Blind. Replace Blind with Culling Strike if you already have it in the Cast When Damage Taken setup.
- Kaom’s Heart: have another Cast When Damage Taken setup, this time with Increased Duration, Immortal Call, Summon Chaos Golem and Summon Flame Golem.
- Faster attacks: Vigilant Strike with Ancestral Call. If you use Kaom’s Heart and would like to have a golem, remove either Ancestral Call or Faster Attacks.
- Weapon: Whispering Ice (Unique). You only need one link, which will be for Scorching Ray and Cast While Channeling. Ice storm will automatically get affected by support gems.
- Chest: Either Kaom’s Heart (Unique) for increased fire damage and maximum life; or Rare Armor with bonuses to intelligence, elemental resistances, and spell damage.
- Head: Black Sun Crest (Unique) for +1 level of socketed gems, as well as increased armor and attributes in exchange for a smaller light radius.
- Gloves: any Rare Armor with bonuses to intelligence, elemental resistances, and spell damage.
- Belt: Cyclopean Coil (Unique) for increased life, attributes, immunity to freeze if dexterity is higher than intelligence, to ignite if strength is higher than dexterity, to shock if intelligence is higher than strength, and 1% increased damage for every 5 of the lowest attribute.
- Accessories: Astraments (Unique Amulet) for bonus attributes and -4 physical damage received; Pyre (Unique Ring) for cold resistance and fire resistance, increased burning damage, 100% of cold damage converted to fire damage, increased light radius, and instant kill of ignited enemies.
- Jewels: two Brute Force Solutions (Unique) and Fertile Mind (Unique) for increase in intelligence, and strength from passives in radius converted to intelligence; Izaro’s Turmoil for increased fire and cold damage, and 2% chance to freeze and ignite; any Rare jewel with mods to intelligence, and spell and spell while wielding a staff, fire, cold, and area damage. Watcher’s Eye (Unique) for increased energy shield, life, mana, energy shield gained for each enemy hit while affected by Discipline, and 100% of physical damage taken as cold damage while affected by Purity of Ice.
- Flasks: two Ample Quicksilver Flasks of Adrenaline for increased movement speed; Chemist’s Basalt Flask of Heat for physical damage reduction and reflection, as well as immunity to and removal of chill. Chemist’s Sulphur Flask of Staunching for increased damage, the creation of Consecrated Ground on use, and immunity to and removal of bleeding. Also, either Ample Sulphur Flask or Ample Eternal Life Flask, both should be of Warding (immunity to and removal of curses).
It’s back and it’s better than ever. So if you want to have a classic build and bring it to the future, this rendition of the CI Whispering Ice Berserker is the one for you.